NEET( National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test) is the single window entrance exam which the aspirants need to clear to get admission to MBBS and BDS for private and government colleges of India except for AIIMS and JIMPER. According to the orders given by the Supreme Court in the year, 2016 AIPMT is now changed to NEET. For a candidate to appear in NEET-UG exam he/she must be 17 years of the age at the time of admission while the upper age limit is 25 years as on the date of examination for the general category candidates. The candidates will get maximum of three attempts for NEET UG and those who have already availed permissible three attempts will not be able to apply for NEET.
It is a pen-paper based exam comprising 180 MCQs from Physics, Chemistry and Biology. In the year 2018, over 13 lakh students have registered for the national level medical entrance examination for the 66,000 seats in medical and dental colleges across the country.
Few points are to be noted for admission and counselling process via NEET:
- 15% seats admission in any government medical college in India except AIIMS, JIPMER and colleges located in Jammu & Kashmir, Andhra Pradesh and Talangana will be taken via AIQ counselling held by DGHS centrally.
- Rest 85% seats admission in government medical colleges will be taken by the state counselling held by the state government and 85% seats are only for students who are state domicile students.
- 100% seat admission in all the 34 private deemed university in India will be taken via AIQ counselling held by DGHS centrally.
- Private colleges which are affiliated to the state university in any state will take admission in any state will take admission for its 100% seats only via state government counselling. This is not applicable to private deemed university. Most of the states will block the seats for their own state domicile students but there are few non-government colleges in Karnataka, UP and Bihar for which the admission is open to outside state students as well.
- Indian Nationals, Non-Resident Indians (NRI), Overseas Citizens of India (OCI), Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs) and Foreign National are eligible to appear in NEET-UG.
- Candidates should have scored minimum 50% marks in class 12th PCB (Physics, Chemistry and Biology). For SC/ST/OBC, the minimum marks in class 12th PCB is 45%.